ATC grandmaster Harrison Hung recently sent me this comic, which cracked me up and reminded me of a timely cupcake recipe…
So as not to just tease our faithful readers with mentions of pumpkin cupcake recipes, and also since it’s almost fall, here is an award-winning recipe for Cream-Filled Pumpkin Cupcakes, courtesy of Taste of Home.
Prep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
YUMMY PUMPKIN CUPCAKES:
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
DELICIOUS CREAM FILLING
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Whole cloves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla if desired. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture, beating until smooth.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle 1 in. deep in the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon or pipe filling into cupcakes. Replace tops. If desired, add a clove “pumpkin stem” to the tops. Yield: about 1-3/4 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 321 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 292 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.