I have been wanting to interview Vanessa Valencia of A Fanciful Twist from the first moment I saw her work. I finally got the chance to ask her some of my questions.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself? (Name, location, occupation etc):
My name is Vanessa Valencia. I am currently in Catalina Arizona, which is a wacky lil’ town about 30 minutes from Actual Tucson Arizona. I spend most of my time in Catalina because this is where I have a little living space and I have a studio an office, and on the same property, I have a tiny building I use as a wee art gallery and shop (by appointment only and for shows).
We have a little bit of acreage here with trees and wonderful nature, so I get to enjoy a peaceful solace away from the bustling city of Tucson. I have a home in the city of Tucson too, which is a fun place to escape to every so often… I used to spend most of my time in the city, but that has shifted more and more over the last 8 years, to get to the opposite being a fact…
Let’s see, I am an artist, and have been creating with the help of my ever nurturing parents since I was 11 years old. I recently stepped back from my real world job, to be an artist full time. It is excting and exhausting. I end up working every waking hour of the day, but I love it to bits!!
I have shifted my art business to be solely online, and I love that!! Makes things much easier and let’s me be in control of my day.
– I think finding something you love and making a living doing it is truely one of the coolest things ever.
2. How popular are cupcakes in Arizona?
I don’t know about in Arizona as a whole. But I bet they are HUGE!! I can’t imagine who doesn’t love a cupcake??? How could they not ;)
3. I know that you make all kinds of art. Paintings, mixed media, paper dresses, art dolls, jewelry, photography, illustrations, and pottery. Is there anything you can’t do?
Oh yes! I have a whole list of things that I wish I could do, that I wish for when I see a falling star. I rotate them. I have been playing the piano since I was a teensy little girl. And, I wish to all falling stars, that I had a magical singing voice. Wouldn’t that be just awesome.
– That would be awesome. I can picture it now. One thing I know for sure is that your album covers and music videos would surely be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.
4. Where do you get all of the awesome stuff that I see in your photographs?
Do you mean like antiques and such?
– Yes, that is what I meant.
Well, I have been collecting art and antique since I was given my own checkbook and taught ways to make money. Probably since I was 13 years old. I collect only what I love. And, I search far and wide for many of my treasures. I am also lucky to have procured a couple of mega treasures, like an antique life size wooden mermaid ( from religious processions in the Philippines ), from a local antiques dealer… But, I go everywhere and keep my eyes peeled.
Although, my friends would attest to the fact that, I am so totally open to treasure finding, that I am lucky to say ( I hope I don’t jinx myself here) that treasures find me.
And, don’t think I am totally daft, but, I do have dreams of treasures, and where I can find them. And, dare I tell the secret that, I go in search for them at the place of my dream, and they really are there. That is how I found my 3rd piano…And another mandolin last week.
– I think that is very cool. I love your treasures. Now when I am out and about I see something antique or unique I think about you, and if you have it. Some of my dreams have lead me to people, places, or things… so I know what you mean by that too.
5. What is your earliest cupcake memory?
I thought about this one long and hard. And I am 99.9% sure, my first real coherent memory, is from 2nd grade, baking hundreds of them for a bake sale. They were strawberry shortcake cupcakes. And, I sold them in a beautiful bricked schoolyard, with huge trees. It was called Lincoln School and it was on Elm Street. That was my elementary school. Boy, we baked lots of cupcakes in those 5 years. Bake sale extravaganzas, I tell ya.
6. How often do you eat cupcakes and what is your favorite kind?
I have a more salty tooth. But, when I get in a cupcake mood, you can’t hold me back. I work on making less over the top sweet frosting, and having a more delicious scrumptious frosting. My fave one to date, is a sour cream frosting, that is a tiny bit salty… Perfect for balancing the sweetness of the cupcakes. I make cupcakes about once every month and a half. And, the Mister eats tons of them. He loves them. I bake them because they make him happy, and I adore decorating them…
7. What does the future hold for A Fanciful Twist?
Hmm, good question. I suppose, painting and making from here til my own eternity…
– I really look forward to seeing what the future holds for you and watching all of your ideas or visions come to life.
Thank you Vanessa for letting me interview you. It was fun!