Boys between the ages of 10 and 14 can be really difficult when it comes to selecting a cupcake design. Basically cupcakes are girly, and they, of course, are manly, so you need something that they can relate too. Ben 10, dinosaurs and matchbox cars are things of the past, but they are not quite at that stage where everything ‘food’ especially if it contains sugar, grease or both is desirable regardless of how it looks!
So coming up with ideas can be difficult. The best method is to look for things they are into, and this includes the games they play on their x-box or computer. These cupcakes above come from Sugar-Design and are perfect for a boy anywhere between the ages of 7 and 12, however you could make them for older boys too, using logos such as Starcraft 2 or COD. Another seven ideas are:
* Digital images – such as the twitter logo, facebook logo, mac logo
* Sporting cupcakes – if they are into football, the color of their favorite team
* Music cupcakes – for the older tween make them grungy, that means darker colors with music notes or instruments out of fondant. Make sure however that they are cool instruments, no triangles or flutes. The photo below is by Caties Cakes and Cookies and is a perfect example.
* Themed cupcakes – if you are doing a laser tag or paint ball party, make cupcakes that look like they match, eg paint splattered on the cupcake.
* Junk food – create little slices of pizza or hamburgers to go on the cupcakes.
* Go gory – think halloween, most boys between the ages of 10 and 14 like things that look gross to normal people.
* Color and chocolate - if everything else fails make them in your pre teen’s favorite color, then cover them liberally in chocolates like Malteasers.