I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before, but of course we can have cupcakes for breakfast! Just call them something else!
According to SeriousEats.com, these cute little cakelets make the perfect brunch!
Brown Sugar Breakfast Cakelets
Adapted from The Improvisational Cook
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs, preferably room temperature
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup whole milk mixed with 1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour a standard 12-cup muffin tin (you can use a bit of the melted flour and a teaspoon or two of the flour to do this).
2. Put the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and whisk well to combine thoroughly.
3. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until blended and frothy. Whisk in the sugar and beat until well blended, about 1 minute.
4. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg-sugar mixture, using as few strokes as possible and stopping just before the two are fully combined. Then whisk in the milk-yogurt mixture, the melted butter, and the vanilla. Pour the batter into the muffin tin; each well will be a little more than half full.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester emerges clean. Set the muffin tin on a rack for 1 minute and then use a knife to flip each cakelet sideways in its well to cool completely.
Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
Beat all ingredients together until uniformly combined, soft, and fluffy. Use immediately or store in refrigerator.