From Martha Stewart.com: These cupcakes make memorable party treats. Chilling the bowl beforehand helps the cream whip up with the most volume.
- Dark Chocolate Cake
- 3 pints ice cream, any flavor
- 5 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Sprinkles, for decorating
- Place 30 paper baking cups on two baking sheets. Set aside. Slice each cake layer in half horizontally, making a total of four layers.
- Using a 2 1/4-inch-round cookie cutter, cut 30 rounds from cake layers. Place a round in each baking cup. Using a 2-inch ice-cream scoop, place one scoop ice cream on each cake round. Transfer baking sheets to freezer for 20 minutes. Chill a medium mixing bowl.
- Place heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar in the chilled bowl. Whip until soft peaks form. Fit a 16-inch pastry bag with a coupler. Fill pastry bag with whipped cream. Starting at the perimeter of a baking cup, pipe a spiral of whipped cream, covering the ice cream. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Return to freezer, and chill until hard, about 45 minutes. Decorate with sprinkles, and serve.